Sunday 8 April 2012

The Castle of Spirits-Chapter – III

Chapter – III
We entered the old castle.  A living hall with a broken chandelier, half smeared with dry blood.   We walked up a curved staircase.  We saw two beds, and a photo of two girls, which is not clearly seen and broken.  Two boxes of bangles, pearls, clips and all sorts of fancies.  Two cupboards filled with old beautiful gowns.  And on a board which hung in the ceiling said ‘Jenny and Greese’.  Similar to our names. Someone tapped on my back.  It was Linny.  “We don’t know the way back.  The mouth of the forest is guarded by the spirit.  Let’s clean the castle and live here.  There are no demons here.  This place was just an old village.  Look through the window” Linny told me.  I looked.  It was a bright day.  Suddenly I became so happy.  People ! Villagers !  at last we are saved.  Linny took two brooms and gave me one.  We cleaned the bed rooms first, then the leaving room and slowly the whole castle.  (I meant very big house).  We swept the floor, cleaned the blood from the chandelier and using my craft talent, turned the half chandelier into a small one.  We did everything to make the castle look beautiful.  And finally I did look beautiful.  We wore night dresses, which was in the castle.  We earned our living by selling fruits.  We lived happily for two weeks.  One day I was in bed, looking a portrait hung in the room.  It’s  nose seemed to move.  I went and pressed the nose.  The picture slid down and broke into tiny pieces.  I saw a hole.  Linny came after me. “Cool”, she said slowly.  Steps formed in and out of the hole.  We entered the hole.



2 comments: